Caleb is spending a year seconded to the Supreme Court as the Judicial Assistant to Lord Leggatt, which will be completed in July 2024. He is unable to accept instructions during his time at the Supreme Court.
Caleb joined Quadrant Chambers in October 2023, upon successful completion of pupillage. His practice is developing across Chambers’ core areas.
Before pupillage, Caleb read law at King’s College London and Girton College, Cambridge. Thereafter, Caleb completed a yearlong Global Litigation Internship at Shell International Limited, where he assisted on various shipping, commodities and general commercial matters. He also served as a Judicial Assistant at the Court of Appeal of England and Wales.
During pupillage, Caleb produced work in a variety of shipping and commercial contexts, including:
- Drafting pleadings and arbitration submissions for hire, demurrage, dangerous goods and other disputes under time and voyage charterparties.
- Drafting skeleton arguments (including, e.g., for security for costs and case-management and trial hearings).
- Drafting case-management documents (including, e.g., Lists of Common Ground and Issues and Disclosure Review Documents).
- Advising on the interpretation and performance of charterparty obligations (including, e.g., the impact of the Russian invasion of Ukraine on safe-port, war-risks and cancellation clauses).
- Advising on the application of charterparty exceptions in time and voyage charterparties (including, e.g., act of god, restraint of princes, off-hire and those contained in the Hague and Hague-Visby Rules).
- Advising on causes of action for the recovery of sums fraudulently withdrawn from a bank account.
- Assisting on summary judgment applications concerning, among other issues, the impact of economic sanctions on loan facilities under shipbuilding contracts.
- Assisting on an arbitration concerning seaworthiness and safe-port obligations under a time trip charterparty.
- Assisting on an LCIA arbitration concerning contractual and tortious claims against the collateral manager of certain commodities.
- Assisting on case-management hearings (including, e.g., applications for relief from sanctions).