Joseph Gourgey joined Quadrant Chambers on 1 October 2021, upon successful completion of pupillage. He is developing his practice in line with Chambers’ core areas of work.
He graduated from St Hilda’s College, Oxford with a first in jurisprudence, obtaining the College prize in both Finals and Prelims. On the BCL he studied Commercial Remedies and Conflicts of Law, winning the Reynolds Scholarship from Worcester College, Oxford. He completed the BPTC with an Outstanding.
Joseph worked as a private tutor in contract and commercial law between 2018-20 and as a Finalist Mentor at St Hilda’s College Oxford in 2018-19. He also volunteered at the Free Representation Unit in Social Security Tribunals. Joseph took part in a vacation scheme at Hogan Lovells, which included experience with the insurance disputes team.
Recent case highlights include:
- Acting as sole counsel in the Commercial Court to successfully challenge an arbitral award under section 68 of the Arbitration Act 1996 (Ducat Maritime Ltd v Lavender Shipmanagement Inc  EWHC 766 (Comm)).
- Acting as junior counsel in a two-week arbitration (led by John Russell KC) in a charterparty dispute arising out of the detention of a vessel in foreign waters.
- Acting as junior counsel (led by John Kimbell KC) in the Commercial Court in a $14.4m aircraft lease agreement, concerning matters of breach of contract and unjust enrichment (Olympic Council of Asia v Novans Jets LLP  EWHC 88 (Comm))
- Acting as junior counsel (led by Gemma Morgan) for the insurer in a two-week Commercial Court trial concerning refund guarantees under shipbuilding contracts worth €36.8m (Havila v Abarca  EWHC 3196 (Comm)).
- Acting as counsel for the Charterers under four shipbuilding contracts and related bareboat charterparties in a $90m two-week arbitration. Joseph gained experience cross-examining factual and expert witnesses.
- Acting as junior counsel (led by Gaurav Sharma) for the Claimant in a section 68 Arbitration Act 1996 challenge in a dispute concerning alleged sham sale and purchase agreements.
- Acting as junior counsel (led by John Kimbell KC) in a 5-day arbitration arising out of alleged unseaworthiness of a vessel on delivery (settled on day 4 of the arbitration).
- MAERSK HONAM Litigation (Ongoing): Instructed as junior counsel (led by Robert Thomas KC) in a dispute arising out of a containership fire on board the Maersk Honam in March 2018. This litigation includes a Limitation Action in the Admiralty court and a related LCIA Arbitration.
Other regular shipping and commercial work.
- Charterparty disputes: Advising and drafting pleadings in a variety of disputes arising out of both time and voyage charterparties, including demurrage, off-hire disputes, unseaworthiness and early redelivery claims. Joseph has also advised on the implications of Covid-19 on charterparties.
- Aviation: Advising and drafted pleadings in claims arising out of the carriage of goods by air.
- Cargo Disputes: Advising and drafting pleadings for owners and cargo-interests in a variety of cargo disputes, including cargo damage and misdelivery.
- Sale of Goods: Advising and drafting pleadings in a range of sale of goods disputes, including as junior counsel in a claim for the delivery up of goods from a warehouse, assisting with defence submissions for a claim seeking to go behind a final certificate of quality and claim submissions in a FOSFA Arbitration.
- International Arbitration: Drafted and prepared a number of section 68 and 69 Arbitration Act 1996 applications, including appearing as sole counsel in successfully challenging an award in the Commercial Court.